Sunday, May 20, 2007

A great place to buy cookbooks

I have discovered that the best place to buy cookbooks at a bargain price is Strand Books in New York City. Despite living in NYC for two years I had never been to Strand until my brother took me there one time when I was visiting him. Now I make a point to go every time I am in New York. The prices cannot be beat, they have an incredible selection of cookbooks, and ambiance of the place is amazing.


I discovered that Strand is place to buy cookbooks when I found The Silver Spoon, a cookbook I had been coveting, for about $20. It was half off! I could not resist purchasing the cookbook (and several other books). Pretty much all the books, including cookbooks are marked 30-50% off the cover price. The nice thing about this bargain buying experience is, unlike Amazon or shopping online, you can actually flip through the myriad of cookbooks they have right then and there.
While waiting for my brother to hurry the heck up, I was worrying about how I was going to tell Mike I bought a 20 lb book that I needed to carry back to San Francisco with me. I noticed a sign that they will ship your purchases for a very reasonable price. Things kept getting better and better. I now had a cookbook I had wanted forever and I did not have to break my arms to get it home!

If you ever find yourself in NYC and near Union Square check out Strand Book Store located at the corner of 12th Street and Broadway, just south of Union Square. Their hours are: Monday-Saturday 9:30 AM-10:30 PM and Sunday 11:00 AM-10:30 PM.