Sunday, May 6, 2007

The neighborhood farmers' market

One of the best things about moving to Noe Valley (a.k.a. Stroller City, as I call it) has been the neighborhood farmers' market on Saturday mornings. This Saturday, my husband and I woke late, grabbed our canvas shopping bag and headed to the market on our way to brunch.


While farmer markets are abound in the city of San Francisco, there is something I really like about shopping at this one. It is small, not overly crowded, and easy to navigate. You can easily swing by and grab some seasonal fruits and veggies and be on with the rest of your day. It is a smaller, more intimate, version of the Saturday Farmer's Market at the Ferry Building downtown where the commitment to shopping and the hit to the wallet are both deterents to even going. Here you can easily compare quality and prices without driving yourself nuts. There is also a chance to get to know the vendors which I hope to do.

At The Noe Valley Farmer's Market I usually head to the back of the lot to the two larger veggie vendors. They have a nice selection and their prices are fairly reasonable, for organics. I have also been impressed with the quality of the things I have purchased. The herbs at these two vendors look amazing as well. One vendor even has italian, thai and purple basil! This week I bought, fresh English peas (I LOVE fresh peas), an artichoke, carrots, new red potatoes, and a crown of broccoli. Just enough to get us through the week.

The details, if you are in the 'hood:
Noe Valley Farmers Market
24th Street between Church and Sanchez
8am - 12pm on Saturday

No comments: