Thursday, July 12, 2007

Bikram yoga and mexican food

Sounds like a terrible combination, right? Both activities turned out to be far better than expected.

My best friend is in town for a couple weeks and she is mildly obsessed with Bikram yoga. While I declined her offer to attend a class with her two days before my wedding, this time I accepted. Bikram yoga, for those of you who have the pleasure to never try it, is also called Hot Yoga. Basically, you do a series of 26 yoga positions over the course of an hour and a half in a room of 105 degrees and 50% humidity. If it sounds miserable, it is. They warn first-timers that you will feel nauseated and light-headed. They aren't kidding. I had to leave the room at one point because I thought I was going to throw up. But I can easily see how this practice can be addicting. You feel like a million bucks after all that sweating. Thirsty as heck though. Not sure I will be a convert, I like Vinyasa yoga better, but but I am glad I gave it a shot.

This not the point of this post though. After class, my friend and went to a new restaurant I have had my eye on in the Mission called, Regalito Rosticeria. It fills the void for a reasonably-priced, healthy, and fresh Mexican restaurant in the Mission. It is not fine-dining, but not a grubby taqueria either. Just what the neighborhood needs, if you ask me! The ambiance is vibrant but not too fancy. We were comfortable dining in our sweaty gym clothes. The menu is straightforward and simple. The menu offers just the right number of dishes, starters and sides. I had the chili rellenos stuffed with spinach and mushrooms which were spiced perfectly. My friend ordered the enchiladas verdes which were also very good. Very fresh and perhaps even lite, without the excess of cheese that is usually dumped all over enchiladas. There were plenty of other menu items I cannot wait to try. We left the restaurant quite satisfied.

They are aiming to do a nice take-out business too. A deal was advertised for Pollos Rostisados (Whole Chicken Meal), including rice, beans, salsa fresca, and tortillas for $21.95. Not a bad deal for a free range rotisserie chicken.

It is a great place for a yummy and fresh Mexican dinner on a weeknight (dine-in or take-out) or visit them for their weekend brunch. They got a good thing going at Regalito.

No comments: