Tuesday, July 24, 2007

A summer menu for dinner in foggy San Francisco

The girls are coming over for dinner tomorrow night. It the first time the entire "Core Team" has been together for dinner since May. We are one man (or woman, rather) down as Mazy has officially made here move to Chicago. We miss you already!

So I promised the girls I would post the menu for them on the blog. Here it goes:
Drinks: Minted Vodka Limeade and lots of red wine, of course!
Appetizers: An Italian surprise - need your help taste testing a new product
Entree and Sides:
Roasted Rack of Lamb with Red Wine and Rosemary Pan Sauce (Don't worry, Hall, I am making you something else.)
Red Potatoes Tossed in Fresh Pesto
Cucumber, Tomato, and Chickpea Salad
Dessert: Choice of Homemade Strawberry-Sour Cream Ice Cream or Chocolate Ice Cream with Toasted Pingolis (or both!)

Should be pretty easy. I can get pesto for the potatoes ready in the morning along with the ice cream base for the chocolate ice cream. I can toast the pingolis for both the ice cream and the pesto at the same time. I made the strawberry-sour cream ice cream this past weekend. I will also chop up the cucumbers and tomatoes in the morning for easy assembly later in the day.

The limeade can be prepared a few hours in advance of the guests' arrival. After the limeade is prepared, I can put the ice cream base in the ice cream freezer and let it churn.

Then all I really have to make right before dinner is the lamb and its sauce. This part will be the biggest challenge, but I think I am up for it. I have never made lamb before. Oh and boil the potatoes. Toss a few things together and serve. I hope it is actually as easy as I am making it seem.

Much of the inspiration for this menu comes from the fresh fruits and veggies I picked up at the
Alemany Farmer's Market this past weekend. I thought about how I could incorporate the tomatoes, fresh basil, limes, strawberries, and cucumbers I bought into a delicious meal.

No comments: