Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Batch 2: Strawberry-Sour Cream Ice Cream

I was more adventuresome with my second batch of ice cream, pairing strawberries with sour cream for a sweet and tangy combination. I used perfectly ripe, organic strawberries from the farmer's market. This recipe was a Philadephia-style ice cream which does not require using eggs or making a custard. So much easier than the French Vanilla recipe I tried initially! The recipe I used was from The Perfect Scoop, by David Lebowitz. However, I adapted his recipe slightly, using more heavy cream (1 1/4 cups) and slightly less sour cream (3/4 cups). For no reason other than I only had 3/4 cup of sour cream on hand. This time, I let the machine run longer so that the ice cream was even more churned than last time. Using the freshest, most natural ingredients makes all the difference in the quality of the ice cream.
Next up: Vanilla Frozen Yogurt (inspired by Pinkberry) and Kiwi Sorbet

No comments: