Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Lunching at the Ferry Building

One of my favorite places to go for a special lunch (some thing different than the soup, salad or occasional sandwich, I normally eat) is the Ferry Building Marketplace in San Francisco. Luckily for me, this is close to my office. It is also a very nice place to meet up friends or take out-of-town guests for lunch.

While there are many delicous places to eat in the Ferry Building, one of my longstanding favorites is DELICA rf1. It is a Japanese delicatessen. It is located in the middle aisle through the main doors. They use local, organic ingredients to make incredibly tasty and susprisingly, reasonably-priced food. They have bento boxes, incredibly yummy Japanese salads like wasabi garlic potato salad, spicy burdock and lotus root salad, and a hijiki and soy bean salad, sushi (including a roast beef sushi that is out of this world), main courses including tofu and chicken options, and freshly fried foods. With the exception of the fried panko foods, everything is really healthy. And that is just a sampling of the menu. Come to think of it, the fried stuff even looks healthy. It is not greasy at all.

At DELICA rf1, you get a wonderful and unique lunch. They have all sorts of options in the deli cases, but I usually go with the "main, a salad and rice" for $7.50. For the main, I love the tofu chicken patty and the salad I love the most has a sesame dressing over asparagus (or green beans) with shredded carrots. The salad is so good I dream about it. Whenever I have DELICA rf1 for lunch I am happy for the rest of the day!

No comments: