Sunday, June 3, 2007

A food lover's bible

There is one book among my cookbooks that has no recipes, but I use as frequently as my cookbooks. This book is called "The Food Lover's Companion" and it has definitions for 6,000 food, drink, and culinary terms.
The entries are alphabetical and cross-referenced so it is easy to find what you are looking for. The descriptions are just the right length. At longest, the definitions are a page in length. The book also lists all the other names by which items are called and examples of the item. For example, under the "apple" entry, it lists: Baldwin, Braeburn, Cortland, Criterion, Fuji, Gala, etc. For the "baking soda" entry the definition mentions that it is also called, bicarbonate of soda. The entries also have pronunciations. This book has every item on the global menu and every preparation technique that you have seen on a menu but have no idea of what it is. I always come home from restaurants and head straight to this book to get a better understanding of what I just ate (or passed up!).
I bet you do not know:
- What Burgoo is?
- What Gianduja tastes like?
- Another name for paua?
I didn't either until I got this book. It is definitely a great book to have around the kitchen. It also makes a great gift.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

funny coincidence w this posting- as i JUST saw sitting out this at at a friend's house last week (he's a professional chef) and i had to look up what the mini gherkin pickles for pate were again to win or lose a bet. i lost. damn cornichons! another great suggestion, alice :)